Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Back in Amman or How to Not Shower for Five Days (and Counting)

So the trip to Sharm al-Sheikh was absolutely wonderful. The mountains of the Sinai Peninsula, which dissolve seamlessly into the Red Sea, were breathtaking. I didn't really get to explore them. Instead I indulged my desire to sit by the pool/sea for a full three days, eating as many chocolate-covered mini croissants and waffles as I wanted. Pictures are coming soon...really.

Meanwhile, I am quickly realizing how much I took for granted the small conveniences of home. Our house is being redone little by little. Don't get me wrong, it looks fantastic. But during the renovation process I've had to learn to be a little bit more flexible about things like, oh, personal hygeine.

While I was in Egypt the living room was renovated, and when I got back my family decided they wanted to repaint the bathroom and get a new shower curtain. Actually two very good ideas. Everything came out of the bathroom on Friday, the day after I returned. The hot water heater came down from the place where it hangs on the wall so that the wall could be painted. It is now Tuesday and the hot water heater is still upside down on the ground, not heating water. The shower curtain has been missing until last night, when the new one was put up and promptly removed to be "hemmed."

Yesterday I asked if I could take a shower, and my family indicated that that was out of the question, since the hot water heater is not functioning at the moment. They suggested I ask my "host aunt," our next door neighbor, if I could use her shower. I haven't yet. I'm not complaining. I'm getting used to being a little grimier than usual. I just hope everyone around me can get used to it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment